Thursday, December 20, 2007

And So This is Christmas

Tomorrow is the last day in the office before my Xmas vacation, and I can really use it this year.

The book deal that ran into trouble a few weeks ago exploded into a mushroom cloud on Monday. The deal is dead. But I am trying to move it somewhere else. That won't happen until the new year, although I will be working on this one through the break.

Of the 9 books I was expecting offers on, only one came through (I closed on it today - HE IS LEGEND: The Richard Matheson Companion - it took 9 months to sell - go figure). Two of them were options on books that earn royalties, but again, I will try to move the authors. Another of the 9 books has turned into two books, and I expect to sell both of them in the new year.

I did have one book idea go to offer without a single piece of paper (I emailed an idea to an author's editor and he came back with the offer).

Another one of these 9 books had a delayed editorial meeting until Jan. 10th.

That is why it's so hard for me to send out new work. I feel like I'm constantly selling the same books over and over again.

I am looking forward to the break, spending time with my family and sleeping in a bit. I'll be reading a little for pleasure (still trying to catch up on business reading) and just re-charging those batteries for the new year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an ol' journalist I like your style. It's that kind of gumption and sticktoitness that makes for success and landing the difficult interview.

Your clients are fortunate.

none said...

Merry Christmas!

Did the new Will Smith film help at all with selling the Matheson companion, I wonder?

ryan field said...

Enjoy your break.

sattabazzar said...

play bazaar is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs. Even you can find website theme with satta king and joomla.