Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Back on the Chain Gang

Today is my first day back, but it proved a little mellower than I expected, although I did have 2 authors email me to ask if I had closed any foreign deals over the Christmas break (like they think they don't celebrate Christmas and New Year's in England/Germany/Japan?).

It was a good break for me, and one I desperately needed, as the year-end work-wise proved to be very different than what I expected. Having ten days off has enabled me to approach reselling or resubmitting a bunch of books with renewed vigor that I would not have if I had had to do it all again the very next day.

I surprised myself by doing the stuff on my to-do list that I never get to, namely the sorting and organizing. I went through the contents of all seven of my desk drawers and somehow threw out four bags of garbage from that. I found even more old and/or already published manuscripts to discard, as well as bank statements from before the turn of the millennium and old checks from closed accounts.

And I made a dent (a minor, but real one) in cleaning up my son's room. I donated all his middle school clothing to the Salvation Army before the year turned, and threw out toy parts that I could not recognize.

I read a few proposals, but I didn't even manage to finish the book I was reading for pleasure (although I think I have two chapters to go, and if I told you what trash I am reading, your faith in me would be dashed).

I slept late, but I did exercise. I cooked up a storm (roast pork loin to die for and shrimp scampi on Christmas Eve), took care of a sick boyfriend and visited friends in Massachusetts for New Year's Eve.

And I even wrote a bit.

And now I am ready to face the new year, and its challenges.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.

I "clean" my office space twice a year and there is nothing like that feeling of accomplishment. Three kitchen garbage bags.

My son is twelve and I have the hardest time getting to his room.

The best way to start the New Year is with a fresh slate.

Tyhitia Green said...

Wow. You were busy even on your break. I did nothing. I didn't even write. It just felt good to have a break away from everything, especially my day job...

Anonymous said...

BRaaavO, Lori! You are inspiring me. May the writers who gather here find insight and support on and off your blog in 2008.
J.D.

ryan field said...

Best New Year to you and the blog.

Rita St. Claire said...

Glad you had a good break and could even sleep in. Here's to a great new year for you and us all.

none said...

Hmm, it's not the OJ book, is it?

:D

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your break went well.