Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Marsha's Suggestion for Haitian Help

As many of you know, my senior agent, Marsha Philitas, is Haitian-American. Below is a letter she sent to colleagues who have asked her how to help:

As most of you know, I am Haitian-American and watching Haiti be devastated by one powerful earthquake after another has been heartbreaking. Fortunately, my family is safe. We have heard from our extended family in Port-au-Prince and they survived the quake with minor injuries. But I worry for all those that haven't been found and for the sustainability of the rescue that is now taking place.

Many of you have asked me the best way to help contribute to the relief efforts. From my research, I've chosen to donate to Partners In Health at this time and urge you to do the same. PIH has been providing healthcare in the poorest areas of Haiti for over 25 years, so they are well equipped to provide aid with little resources. They were also one of the first organizations to respond on the ground when collapsed hospitals were abandoned. They maintained their clinics on the Haitian countryside and set up make-shift clinics in Port-au-Prince.

Personally, I've been a long time fan of PIH for their dedication to working WITH Haitians to provide much needed healthcare in a way that honors local culture and national pride.

They also have a 6% overhead, the lowest I've seen in a relief organization already established in Haiti. (Though please correct me if you have more information on this).

So I am raising funds for Partners In Health and I hope that you will join me.

Please help me reach my goal by making a contribution at:

http://act.pih.org/page/outreach/view/haitiearthquake/Marsha

Thank you!
Marsha

1 comment:

Ravenous Romance said...

Another agent addresses some of this author entitlement and/or arrogance.

http://tiny.cc/YmCk0

But I'm sure you'll write to me anonymously and tell me you don't see it that way.