Wednesday, February 6, 2008

1099's, Superbowl and Super Tuesday

It's been a busy two weeks, which is why I haven't posted.

I'm sure very few of you were aware that last week was the time when agents mail out their authors' 1099's (the W-2's of non-employee compensation). This is always more work than I anticipate.

Years ago we used to have to buy forms with built-in carbons and type them all, but now everything is computerized and saved from the year before, which does make it much easier. Except that the agent still has to remember who moved, changed their name or had a mistake in last year's form that needs to be changed this year.

And, of course, there are always one or two writers who haven't given me their Social Security Number or Federal I.D. number (for a business), and wait until the last minute to return my frantic emails and phone calls about this discrepancy.

But they are all done and in the mail now and I have a month to hear if there are any mistakes (from typos to under and/or over-reporting) and then they go off to the government.

Needless to say this is not one of my favorite tasks, and even though I have an accountant who does most of the work, I am so used to doing it myself (and know how to) that I always find mistakes before they go out.

I was also just overwhlemed by the Superbowl, although I am not a big football fan. The Yankees take so much out of me during the season, that I feel I need a break after October (and I put all that extra time into reading your books). However, I am a New Yorker, and it was such a hard-earned win that I almost went to the ticker tape parade (and then thought better of it - I have lived in New York City my whole life and never been to Times Square on New Year's Eve, so I obviously don't like the winter crowd thing). I just put the TV on while I worked yesterday.

And it was Super Tuesday, a very weird phenomenon - to have so many states voting in a half-national primary. And to have so many Democratic voters so split. But it's also great to see so many young voters particpating in the process. It's going to be a very interesting Democratic convention.

Plus, in case any of you don't read the non-Britney gossip, Judith Regan settled her lawsuit with HarperCollins. She was given an undisclosed amount (probably the remainder of her contract) and a statement that said, in effect, she did not make the anti-semitic remarks that were the so-called reason for her firing.

People ask me what I think she'll do (because I had two books with her I am now considered an expert). But here's my two cents on that. I think she's perfect for Hollywood and will take her settlement and start a production company.

3 comments:

ryan field said...

I didn't see the news about JR, but I'm not surprised at the outcome.

Anonymous said...

But it's also great to see so many young voters particpating in the process. It's going to be a very interesting Democratic convention.
I totally agree! Usually people my age are not at all interested. This time they seem really motivated. It makes me happy.

That 1099 thing sounds like a nightmare. At least you got through it.

I didn't watch the Super Bowl. I'm a heretic. I watched Masterpiece Theatre. Ha.

-Emily Keyes

Cathy in AK said...

Can't blame you for deciding to skip the parade, but as a life-long Giants fan I might have gone to that one. And avoiding Time Square on New Year's Eve seems smart to me.

Judith Regan could take the whole "lemons to lemonade" idea to a new level. Am I wrong, or has nothing she's done (alleged or otherwise) caused her career grave ill, in the scheme of things? Is the woman made of teflon?